Old 22-09-2008, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2 Rusty Hinge 2 is offline

Default Wind resistant fruit trees....

The message
from Tim Perry contains these words:

It sounds like you need a windbreak, regardless what you decide to
grow. Here's a thought;-
I may well be talking rubbish, and if so I'll say sorry now before
getting deluged with derision, but has anybody tried growing a line of
frost hardy Eucalyptus, then laying them into a hedge.
I know it's a trick rarely seen nowadays, but farms used to have layed
hedges everywhere, they were solid, stock proof, and
self-regererating.
Plus, they look a damn sight better than wire and plastic.

Why not lay something useful, like apples, apricots, peaches, etc? You
*MAY* get a bonus of some fruit.

However, a windbreak needs to be fairly high, so a fairly sturdy tree
would need to be allowed to grow straight up for support and laid stems
woven round it.

The upright can be topped so as not to cause too much shade, if necessary.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig