Old 22-09-2008, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2 Rusty Hinge 2 is offline

Default Hunza Apricots

The message
In article ,
Tim Perry writes:

| I like to call myself optimistic, most of my pals say I'm just nuts.

I can't see why. If you don't try something new, you will never be
innovative.

Hmmmm. There's a trueism there, if I'm not much mistaken...

| This year I grew Pawpaws, Goji, Bananas, Avocado, and Loquats. I doubt
| if any will survive the winter, let alone ever bear fruit, but at least
| I did manage to germinate them.

Second year goji should be OK as long as you protect them from the worst
of the frost.

Merkin pawpaws or real ones? Loquat is borderline hardy and makes
a good foliage plant. The problem with avocados is that they are
big trees - even in Kew, they don't really get to fruiting size,
and they are a bit tender for the UK. The bananas we eat are
seedless, so yours will be a foliage plant.

There is one which produces edible fruit, but reportedly, it's like a
mouthful of banana-flavoured pebbles.

| I have fig trees growing in my lawn, each about 10ft tall, the fruit
| gets about tangerine size. The flesh between skin and seed is sweet
| enough, but they taste nothing like 'real' figs.

No damn sun - that's the only reason - if we get a decent summer, figs
grown here taste fine :-(

Mine are tasting fine ATM - I shall have the next batch in several days.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig