Old 22-09-2008, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2 Rusty Hinge 2 is offline

Default Damson Trees?

The message
In article ,
echinosum writes:

| Of course many things grown as damsons aren't, they are "damson plums",
| ie plums that are damson-like.

Grrk. There really isn't any boundary between damsons and plums.

| But mine are Farleigh, a true damson
| raised from a wild seedling: the fruits are sloe-sized, smaller than
| cherries, ...

Well, I have Merryweather and Farleigh, too, and they are both about
the same size - both bantam's egg sized - so there is clearly a great
deal of variation in what is called Farleigh.

Yours sounds like a throwback; the smallest Prunus domestica that I
know of is mirabelle, and they are still larger than sloes and about
as big as cherries. Most damsons are bantam's egg sized.

You must have seen very small bantams, then.

IME largeer varieties of damsons are about the size of pigeons' or
quails' eggs, while most are moe of the thrush egg size.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig