Old 23-09-2008, 04:26 PM
Tim Perry Tim Perry is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Hinge 2 View Post
Mine get fed daily: since they live beside the bathroom, I have bored a hole through the window-frame and squeezed a length of hosepipe through.
Inside, there is a funnel which hangs up on the curtain-rail, and
outside, there is enough pipe to reach the figs, and the grape vine.
Most of the time I give it hand-washing water, shaving water &c, and if the weather is particularly dry, I give the lion's share of the bathwater to the vine and a few gallons to the fig.
Otherwise the bathwater flushes the pan and only the dregs get to feed the fruit.

Rusty
There is a big difference in the quantity of water yours get compared to mine.
When I bought this place the previous owner had dug a pit to extract sand and hoggin, and left a big hole. This I filled with about 6ft of builders rubble, topped with 2ft of soil, and this is
where the figs are planted. Because of the drainage you can have a thunderstorm, and 15 mins later walk out there in carpet slippers without spoiling them. In the summer I have a hard time keeping that part of the lawn green.

Perhaps I should have planted cacti instead.