Old 24-09-2008, 01:36 AM
Janet Conroy Janet Conroy is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn View Post
Hello all, this is my first post and I would appreciate some advice please. I plan to start a veg plot. The soil has been under turf for years and I need to fertilise it but have read that one is not supposed to use manure, why is this? What should I use instead? Thank you in anticipation.........
The received wisdom is to plant potatoes in land that was previously under grass. Any basic veg garden book (from your local library) will explain the 4 crop rotation system where some crops need manure and others don't. If you're stripping or have stripped the turf off already, then try Googling "green manures" so that you protect the ground from the worst of the winter weather. Good luck!