Old 23-09-2008, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Fruity Corner

In article ,
Tim Perry writes:

| There is a big difference in the quantity of water yours get compared
| to mine.
| When I bought this place the previous owner had dug a pit to extract
| sand and hoggin, and left a big hole. This I filled with about 6ft of
| builders rubble, topped with 2ft of soil, and this is
| where the figs are planted. Because of the drainage you can have a
| thunderstorm, and 15 mins later walk out there in carpet slippers
| without spoiling them. In the summer I have a hard time keeping that
| part of the lawn green.
|
| Perhaps I should have planted cacti instead.

Attempting to grow 'standard' lawn grass is a mug's game - there are
lots of much better plants for that location, including many grasses.
I don't know of any that can take mowing, though, and few like hard
wear.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.