Old 23-09-2008, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2 Rusty Hinge 2 is offline

Default Fruity Corner

The message
from Tim Perry contains these words:

There is a big difference in the quantity of water yours get compared
to mine.
When I bought this place the previous owner had dug a pit to extract
sand and hoggin, and left a big hole. This I filled with about 6ft of
builders rubble, topped with 2ft of soil, and this is
where the figs are planted. Because of the drainage you can have a
thunderstorm, and 15 mins later walk out there in carpet slippers
without spoiling them. In the summer I have a hard time keeping that
part of the lawn green.

Perhaps I should have planted cacti instead.

Hum.

Suggestion: Dig a shaft down to the rubble and pour in sloshed-up
compost and bonemeal, and when it clogs, wash it in with a hose, then
start again, continuing until you can't wash any more in.

It should improve it, though the fig will send down roots until it finds
the water it needs.

You could also give it some general purpose fertiliser from time to time.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig