Old 24-09-2008, 05:10 AM
Tim Perry Tim Perry is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Hinge 2 View Post

Suggestion: Dig a shaft down to the rubble and pour in sloshed-up
compost and bonemeal, and when it clogs, wash it in with a hose, then
start again, continuing until you can't wash any more in.

It should improve it, though the fig will send down roots until it finds
the water it needs.

You could also give it some general purpose fertiliser from time to time.

Rusty
You could have a plan there, I have noticed that the soil level
has dropped there several times, so I presume it is slowly getting washed down amonst the stones. I rebuilt the level with spent mushroom compost, which does help the grass no end.

I found that mixing 50% Cocksfoot into the grass mix is also useful. So far it has not suffered from being mowed, although I leave the grass bucket off and never cut shorter than around 2 inches.

Aside from myself, the guinea fowl, and the dogs, it does not get much traffic over it.

One plus point I have noticed is that it does warm up early in
the spring.

Still, no problem, I'll just leave the hose on it more often in the
summer and see how it goes from there.

Tim.