Old 24-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Tim Perry Tim Perry is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
I've just discovered that those big (often black) plums grown in warmer climates are japanese plums, P salicina, though many of the varieties grown outside the far east originate in California or Australia. Now it turns out that there are some P salicina sold for cultivation in this country. http://www.readsnursery.co.uk/cultur...lum-trees.html
They are the only nursery in the country listed on RHS plant finder with P salicina. But one or two others do seem to be selling eg "Methley" but describing it as P domestica.
Since Reads is in Norfolk, you may have a chance! They are very early flowering though. Elsewhere on the web I read they do need protection to keep the fruit.
http://www.fruitforum.net/poor-mans-fruit-walls.htm

Thanks, that's very interesting, I'll take a look. I'm sure I can find a suitable spot to plant one.
I was truly amazed by the size of those fruit, and even asked the grocer if they had been mis-labelled.
As all my land is on a south facing slope, it tends to get the best of whatever sun there happens to be, and the slope helps to conduct the cold frosty air downhill away from my trees, so there are no frost pockets.
I may be lucky, and won't know untill I try.

Tim.