Old 24-09-2008, 08:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
Chris[_14_] Chris[_14_] is offline

Default Mini palm tree fungus

On Sep 23, 3:38 am, Paul Kaye wrote:
On Sep 22, 8:45 pm, "Buderschnookie" wrote:

"Paul Kaye" wrote in message

news:2e8bb241-f188-4438-aba4- We've had this plant/tree for a few years but
recently a white growth

is appearing on the trunk. It appears to be a fungus but, as I say, I
have no knowledge whatsoever. Photos of the problem:
http://www.brookwade.com/palm2.jpg
http://www.brookwade.com/palm3.jpg

That is not fungus, it is scale.
Rub off as much as you can then use insecticidal soap.

--
Toni
Hills of Kentucky

Hi Toni,

Thanks for your reply. What exactly is a scale? Is it at all
detrimental to the health of the plant or is it just an aesthetic
issue?

Paul

They are actually insects of the order Hemiptera ("true
bugs"...entomologists get all antsy (pun intended) when you call some
other kind of insect a bug).

Here's some info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scale_insect

and