Old 25-09-2008, 05:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
graham graham is offline

Default Bay laurel

"The Cook" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 08:16:07 +1000, none ""jules\"@(none)" wrote:

Graham wrote:
wrote in message
I would think fall is the best time.
I just pinch mine as I need leafs. I take from the ends to promote
bushier growth. They can grow up to 40 feet tall.

Thanks! I doubt that mine will ever reach that! The climate in Alberta
won't allow it unless I build a bloody great greenhouse{;-)
Graham

I have one in the back yard and we get frost all winter with a severe
frost maybe twice a winter. Doesn't even blink. Also if it needs pruning
you're not using enough! Give away leaves to your friends and yes, use
them in your cupboards and jars.
jules

I doubt that your climate is quite the same as Alberta, Canada. I am
thinking that theirs is more like hard freeze most of the winter.

Last winter the temp went down to -35C, -42C with windchill. Bay trees
don't like that! (BTW -40C = -40F).
Graham