Old 25-09-2008, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Leeks going to seed

"Mary Fisher" wrote ((snip))
But in my innocence I never thought about them going to seed. they're
quite good now and I'd use some if I needed them but I didn't take note of
when to pull them - or if they over-winter. I assume they wouldn't.

So do I leave them in over the cold months or will they suffer? That's
assuming I haven't used them. That plot is shared with a few carrots, some
onions and salsify.

They are quite hardy so leave them in. They just get bigger as the winter
progresses and can be used any time, and then will flower and go to seed
next spring.
BTW the flowers are rather nice and can be used indoors provided you put a
little Bleach in the water to kill the leek smell (like the florists do).

--
Regards
Bob Hobden