Old 26-09-2008, 05:06 AM posted to rec.gardens
JayDee JayDee is offline

Default my sick bougainvillea

On Aug 14, 11:51*pm, Laura at theGardenPages
wrote:
On Aug 13, 11:19 am, JayDee wrote:

I did miss a couple weeks between waterings (the last was a drenching)

Bougainvillea are really touchy. *It probably went into shock when it
didn't get watered. *The drenching isn't the best to do either. Have
you gone back to your normal watering routine?

It may lose all foliage. *Don't give up if it does. Keep to the normal
watering that worked for the last year and cross your fingers. It may
be OK. *You can tell if the branch is still alive by scratching the
bark with your nail. If it's green underneath it's still OK.

Resist the urge to overwater. *it may be time to ad a little more dirt
to the pot too.

Also, the red flower is really considered the leaf on bougainvilleas.
That's why it still has 'flowers'.

Good luck!

hmm... I do the drench/dry thing with my ficus, creeping fig, and
grape vines and they all seem to be happy. They all get watered every
few days - along with a seaweed fertilzer. it did begin flowering
again (very quickly!) a few days ago after it got watered - so maybe
it was just that it dried out too much

thanks for the advise!

- j