Old 26-09-2008, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] helene@urbed.coop is offline

Default New Veg Plot

On Sep 25, 3:42*am, Coffee's For Closers Usenet2...@THE-DOMAIN-
IN.SIG wrote:
There's nothing wrong with manure. *Dump in right on. *The issue
is if the manure is too fresh. *Some folks like it if it has sat
around and mellowed for a few months or so.

It is basically about the nitrogen level (don't want too much at
once) and also letting any weed seeds die (apparently worse with
fresh horse manure.)

Personally, I use blood-and-bone meal, and pellitised sheep
manure, both from my local hardware store.

On NPK values, sheep manure has 0.7 N (nitrogen) for 0.9 K (potash)
which is the highest potash content on all manure known, beside 'man
manure', tho that doesn't me the later would have bigger value, I just
don't know. Using blood and bone would rise your nitrogen to 12, which
compared to manure is 0.6. The mix of sheep manure plus bonemeal
raises your nitrogen really high, which is surprising given the
advise. Maybe your garden needs it - but this is not for everybody's
soil.

I use lots of comfrey liquid, with the lowest of NPK - the liquid is
taken immediately by the plant and I feel safer to then use manure or
chicken pellets (every 2/3 years because of its nitrogen content)
afterwards.