Old 27-09-2008, 01:40 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default best value water tanks??

"bassett" wrote in message

This is true. You must make sure your plumbing is good, especially
polypipe joints are not as reliable as metal. As well as wasting water
and soaking somewhere you don't want soaked a leak or tap left on may
burn out the pump motor if it runs dry. My garden tank is turned off at
the valve and the motor switched off when not in use for this reason.

David

What a load of paranoid rubbish, how do you think it works for people
with only a tank water supply and a pressure pump.

The same way it does for for my 45 kl house system which is on all the time.
But the plumbing there is high pressure polymer or copper and has been
pressure tested and it is protected by the house structure. I know people
who have had exactly the problem that I described with garden and stock
systems, this is not something that I imagined. I don't know of a case
where the motor burnt out personally but my plumber advised me that it can
happen.

And a modern pressure pump is worth something like $120 , or there free
when you buy some tanks.
They don't need to be big or expensive.

For the garden no they don't need to be big or high pressure and my 10kl
system isn't. But the cheapos don't give mains pressure. I didn't say the
pressure.

So tell us , how long have you had a tank water supply.

Since I built the house.

Your playing games
with a **** arsed little tank and a garden hose.

Why go to the gym when you can get all your exercise jumping to conclusions?
Why the intemperate language? You do seem to have rather an emotional
investment in your limited experience.

You have no bloody idea.
All my solar water fittings are poly type and I,ve never had a problem.
with water pressure blow outs.

Good for you but I don't think that proves very much in this context. Have
you had a horse decide to play with your plastic fittings? They have big
teeth that can disconect a waterer that is not well shielded. I doubt the
risks outside a domestic system. Perhaps carelessly driving a stake through
a buried pipe is a more likely example.

Poly fittings are simply not as reliable as metal or the crimped sort on
high pressure tube, especially the push fit types (as opposed to nut and
olive) that are mainly used on 12, 19 and 25 mm poly pipe which are common
sizes for garden use. Some push joiners will blow out just on a low
pressure pump without outside interference unless they are also clamped.

Add together the lower reliabilty of the (most common) fittings and that
there are other hazards found out doors and there is a real risk of pumping
a tank dry due to a leak.

David