Old 27-09-2008, 08:22 AM posted to aus.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default best value water tanks??

"bassett" wrote in message
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

Pressure pumps, while giving the convenience of mains pressure, have

Mains pressure will be a big expensive pump. Cheaper ones with less than
mains pressure are OK for the garden.

a sinister side: while you are at work they can completely empty your
tank, and if you are really unlucky, dump it all onto your bathroom
floor. An advantage of placing the pressure pump where you will hear
it in operation is so that in the middle of the night you can ask
yourself, "Why is that pump going?!" and in short time discover that
someone has left a garden tap turned on.

This is true. You must make sure your plumbing is good, especially
polypipe joints are not as reliable as metal. As well as wasting water
and soaking somewhere you don't want soaked a leak or tap left on may
burn out the pump motor if it runs dry. My garden tank is turned off at
the valve and the motor switched off when not in use for this reason.

What a load of paranoid rubbish, how do you think it works for people
with only a tank water supply and a pressure pump.

I live, and have lived, with tank water supply and pressure pumps for about
4 decades. I thought that what David said made sense.

And a modern pressure pump is worth something like $120 , or there free
when you buy some tanks.
They don't need to be big or expensive.

So tell us , how long have you had a tank water supply. Your playing
games with a **** arsed little tank and a garden hose. You have no bloody
idea.

Based on my 4 decades of living with water tanks and owning 2 farms which
are both on tank water, I'd say there was nothing wrong with his advice or
comments.

All my solar water fittings are poly type and I,ve never had a problem.
with water pressure blow outs.

Lucky you. We've had lots of incidences of water loss and for various
reasons.

I've just counted how many water tanks we have on our 2 farms. We have 7.
All but one are concrete.

We have 2 tanks on the other farm (both concrete) - they gravity feed the
house and garden there. When the header tank runs low we use a fire
fighting pump to move water from the tank on the house up to the header tank
on the hill.

At this farm we have 3 concrete water tanks solely for house water. In
addition, for the garden and very occassional stock use, I have one concrete
tank and the plastic tank. These are supplied with water from a dam and a
bore.

We have 3 pressure pumps and a fire fighting pump. We've never had a
problem with the fire fighting pump but have had to replace all three
pressure pumps. We've lost 2 full tanks of house water (that I can recall)
and lost so many tanks of gardening water that I wouldn't be able to give
even a rough guesstimate of the number. Reasons include: cow eating poly
pipe, cow eating tank fitting, stock trough failure due to cow eating
fitting, stock trough failure due to stock trough fitting failure, pump
failure, multiple and differing human failures.

Shit happens.