Old 27-09-2008, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Overwintering of plants

On 27/9/08 08:26, in article ,
"AriesVal" wrote:

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 23:24:03 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Your personal gardener, Raymond, says, it's really not too difficult with
any of these, bar the Surfinias but really, and ideally, you should take
these Begonia and Marguerite cuttings in August because of light levels
helping root growth. Take 2" cuttings from non-flowering shoots of the
Begonias and Marguerites now (remove a bud, if necessary) cutting them off
just below a node, take off most of the leaves, leaving a couple at the top
and put them 5 round the edge of 1 litre pots filled with a compost for
seeds and cuttings. But he does emphasise, Do this now, because it's
already quite late and in your climate might or might not work. Because
you'll be doing this quite late he suggests you leave them in this 1 litre
pot for quite some time and then pot them on in spring.
For Surfinias he says 'buy seed' and start from scratch.
What we would like very much to hear from you is how your cuttings develop
because although temps are brutally low, light levels might be higher? This
is pure supposition/guesswork/curiosity on my part but I'd like to hear how
your cuttings do.

thanks from me too Sacha - useful information. Today I will be taking
cuttings to root from my soft fruit bushes. Hope I'm not too late that
that?

I'll ask himself when I go out there, Val but we don't propagate fruit here.
We buy them in, so I can't help you myself - never grown the stuff! ;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com