Old 27-09-2008, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle-C Uncle-C is offline

Default Best time to prune / cut back overgrown Cape Fuschia ?

Hello,

I managed to grow a rather large Cape Fuschia in my garden and it has
reached a height of over 1.5m and a spread of about 1m. The plant is
hardy and remained in leaf throughout last winter. The problem is that
in its current state it is crowding out the surrounding plants. I was
wondering should I cut it back slightly now ( just before the onset of
winter) and then give it the hard pruning next spring ? I am concerned
for the plants in its close vicinity which flower in late spring. If
cutting it back now is a viable option how far should I cut ? I am
worried about the Peony which is directly behind it and which usually
flowers in May.

Thanks,
UC