Old 27-09-2008, 03:56 PM
RdeVC RdeVC is offline
Registered User

Location: Nr Worthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D.Smith View Post

I've also read that when you want to reduce the height of a hedge, you cut
back to about one foot lower that you want, which allows the bush to grow
naturally up to your preferred height rather than just looking hacked off.
This presumably applies more to a "thorough overhaul" than a regular trim!
I imagine similar applies to cutting a hedge back too.

Paul DS.
Hi I am new to this forum and very much a learner when it comes to gardening.

We have a beech hedge running down the side of our property and one at the front. The one at the front has got a "bit" out of control and needs a thorough cut back - I would like to take at least a foot off the width - cutting the south facing side back, plus a good couple of feet from the top. What time of year should I do this?

Regards

Richard