Old 27-09-2008, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Growing Shitake, Lions Mane and Oyster Mushrooms

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
I've had the logs I inoculated with spawn sitting in large plastic bags
for about 9 months and thought it about time they came into the air seeing
as most of the logs are showing good signs of infection by going black at
the ends, even showing some Mycelium on the outside of the logs in the
case of Shitake and Oyster. I appreciate Lions Mane can take a much
longer time but even that is showing a spreading of the mycelium.

My problem is I've lost the instructions, put them somewhere safe, so do I
now stand the logs upright against the house wall in a shady and damp
spot, lay them down on the earth there, or lay them down on a plastic
sheet where they can stay damp (and so they don't get infected by
something else nasty in the ground).
Or do I "plant" the logs (one end buried in the soil) out on the
allotment.

Anyone done it successfully?

Never tried but I'll be interested in the answers!

The only edible mushrooms I've had here grew unintentionally - blewits in
the ground, oyster on a log left standing around by Himself.

Mary