Old 28-09-2008, 06:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tony newton tony newton is offline

Default New Veg Plot

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 00:16:07 +0100, Carolyn
wrote:

Hello all, this is my first post and I would appreciate some advice
please. I plan to start a veg plot. The soil has been under turf for
years and I need to fertilise it but have read that one is not supposed
to use manure, why is this? What should I use instead? Thank you in
anticipation.........

Not related to manure, but if you haven't dug it yet, keep an eye open
for wireworm or chafer grubs if non clay, or leatherjackets if clay.
All of them are common in ex-grassland. They will also target
potatoes. Dig and pick them out by hand. Let the birds find even more.
If the soil is clay, try planting leeks early next year, their roots
break clay up well. Some varieties will harvest in the summer giving
you a chance to put somethingelse in afterwards.

IMHO manure and compost are not great fertilizers. They do provide
microbe life and water and nutrient holding capacity to soil. most veg
are heavy feeders so will need packet fertilizer near to the sowing
season and some a second dose. Manure or compost can go in now to let
the worms spead it about for you. Horse manure can often be full of
weed seeds, cow and chicken far far less.

It's important to know that the manure doesn't come from animals who
grazed on fields where certain chemicals were used. Other manure
threads have info on this.

Nigel