Old 28-09-2008, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins Des Higgins is offline

Default pumpkin questions

This is my third year growing punpkins. Each year some plants do
great and some just never get going.
This year, 2 plants that I started early and got into the ground
before the weather went terrible in May, thrived. I got 6 pumpkins
each from them (less than half the diameter of a football each but
enough each to feed 5 or 6 roasted). 4 plants that I started a little
later and that were doing really well in greenhouse, were planted out
after the weather went bad and they never got going (1 small pumpkin
from 4 plants). Can any experts please describe how they do their
pumpkins (when do you germinate; plant out and how do you treat
them). I am seriously considering a small mobile polytunnel next year
or cloche; would this work?

Des in Dublin