Old 09-04-2003, 10:56 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Cuttings from woody plants

A couple of things I would add for those just starting out in
this.
Timing is one of the most critical aspects for most cuttings.

Though
successes may be had at other times of year, taking them at the

optimum
time really increases the chances of a good strike rate. Good

shrub and
tree books should have a section on propagation and timings for

many
species can be found in these.

As well as being fraught with problems it is still great fun

and a very
satisfying way of increasing stocks of suitable specimens.

On the other hand, if you are trimming a plant and have
left-overs that might make good cuttings, it doesn't hurt to try
them at ANY time of the year. No sense wasting anything --
especially if it is waste in the first place. ;-)

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++