Old 28-09-2008, 05:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
General Schvantzkopf General Schvantzkopf is offline

Default lead exposure from hoses

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 09:06:49 -0700, Mycosimian wrote:

I was just at the store looking at garden hoses and I noticed that all
of their labels carry a warning which says that they contain lead, one
should not drink from them, and one should wash their hands after use.

I am wondering if anyone knows where I can find information on lead
exposure from using these hoses.

Just let the water run for a minute or two before you drink from the hose.
The pipes in your house probably have lead solder, unless they were put in
in the last 10 years, which is why your mother always told to let the tap
run for a bit before you drank from it. You haven't suffered any ill
effects from your pipes so you shouldn't worry about the water from your
hose.