Old 28-09-2008, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Complete Newbie to veg growing!

"Broadback" wrote ...
Caz wrote:
I have decided to grow veg on raised beds and have no idea where to
start. I have a small piece of lawn that I will be converting. Does
anybody have any recommendations for a book to give me ideas and advice.
I'm presuming (maybe wrongly) that I can't actually plant anything right
now but would like to begin preparations for spring planting. Any advice
greatly received.

Now is the time to plant onion sets and garlic cloves, though these do
take up rather a lot of space and will remain in the ground until mid
Summer. Also now is a good time to grow broad beans.

Raised Bed suggests a small area, what size are we talking about? How are
you going to make it?

Converting old grass to veg growing is fine but you may suffer from a few
soil pests for the first couple of years.

Garlic should be planted now but I've given up with autumn planted onions,
lost too many during the winter and they only come a couple of weeks before
the spring planted ones and don't store well either.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden