Old 28-09-2008, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Honey fungus panic!

On 28/9/08 22:14, in article , "Janet
Conroy" wrote:

Thank you for the replies, altho I'm not sure I'm any the wiser.
The tree was in a smallish front garden, right beside next door's
boundary. The stump was ground out but it was a big tree (over 20ft)
so goodness knows how far any remaining roots go.
I have perennials and grasses in the bed now.
Should I clear the bed?
What is susceptible?
If it's harmless why do you hear so many horror stories?

Perennials and grasses aren't likely to be bothered. It's shrubby, woody
things that it attacks and then only if they're weak or damaged. Some
things, like lilacs are more susceptible than others, apparently. As it
runs underground and you can't see it, removing plants from beds won't make
any difference because you don't know where it is unless you peel back a
layer all over your garden. The first thing is to be sure it IS honey
fungus. Does the fruiting body smell of honey?
I really wouldn't panic about it but if you read the following it might help
you worry a bit less:
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...ney_fungus.asp

--
Sacha