Old 29-09-2008, 09:27 AM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage John Savage is offline

Default best value water tanks??

I wrote:
If you have a high house and want to raise the tank onto a stand, then
the stand is likely to cost more than the tank! But a high tank means
that you are not held hostage to a pressure pump for gardening, and a
reliable 240 supply during hosing down during bushfire weather. The
poly tanks are happy to sit on a bed of builder's sand (the stuff that
has clay in it, and sets like cement with time). Make sure that the
edges can't get eroded over the years, and protect the tank from
accidental scraping from passing tractors, etc.

On reflection I think I used "decomposed granite", not builder's sand.

There have been cases during drought of someone returning home to find
that their precious store of rainwater has been spirited away by a tanker
truck during their absence.

Not the whole tank went missing, just its contents. :-)