Old 29-09-2008, 01:24 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dioclese Dioclese is offline

Default Tree too close to house?

"Mitulove" wrote in message

Hello,
Another question about the plants in my new garden..
We've got this maple (I think) growing very close to the house. It
comes out of the ground just 4 inches or so away from the wall. I
can't imagine why someone would have purposely planted it like that,
yet there it is, growing very happily. Is this kind of tree going to
cause problems? Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks,
Lanna

--
Mitulove

Potential risks of trees in the vicinity of a house.
1. Root structure may damage or destroy a slab foundation. May damage
footings by tilting them, causing them to provide no foundation support.
2. Severe winds in tandem with lots of rain may cause a tree to fall on a
house.
3. Branches and leaves growing adjacent to walls and eaves may prevent
normal air circulation. As a result, mildew and subsequent rot may occur.
4. Trimming a tree adjacent to the house may result in roof damage.
--
Dave

Food for thought. May cost more or
perhaps the same if the credit market
is allowed to correct on its own. The
added benefit is the credit market won't risk
doing the same thing or similar again
in the future. As a result, such risks taken
by borrowers won't eixist either.