Old 29-09-2008, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Amethyst Deceiver Amethyst Deceiver is offline

Default My climbing French beans

In article ,
says...
The message
from Amethyst Deceiver contains these words:

Plant earlier next year?

When would you suggest? I planted mine in April, May and June, as the
various packets suggested. I've had roughly one meal per week of them -
24 plants - and while they're still flowering, they won't produce any
more pods.

Well, you don't want to plant them out until the end of April, and then
you may need to protect them at night occasionally. Because I still
hadn't grubbed-up the hedge, mine didn't go in until the end of June,
when they set beans immediately.

They have though, been well-watered, both naturally and with a hose.

Misting the flowers is reputed to help them set.

Marvellous - but I didn't really get many flowers until late August. As
I said, one meal a week (for two people) from oh, actually 32 plants,
all planted in accordance with the instructions on the packetes.