Old 29-09-2008, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Ed Ed is offline

Default Autumn Onion Sets and Garlic

On 29/09/08 19:02, Broadback wrote:
Robert (Plymouth) wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Ed" wrote
I've just got my onion sets for autumn planting and garlic which I'm
intending to plant out in the next couple of weeks.

Oh dear, see my comments under "Complete Newbie to veg growing".

Never done these before , so:

Do these need netting to protect against birds, as do spring
planted bulbs?

We have never netted any onions, ever. Cabbages yes, onions no.
Regards
Bob Hobden

I suspect he means to stop the birds pulling them up after planting. I
never do, I just push them back in. The birds do still peck at them so
if you net them for that reason you still can .... if you can be
bothered lol! Bob is of course correct, there is no need for fleece

Do birds actually pull them up? Is it simply physics, as the roots grow
the sets are pushed out of the soil?

yes, birds pull em up. u a gardener or a physicist?

Ed