Old 29-09-2008, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Complete Newbie to veg growing!

"Broadback" wrote ...
Bob Hobden wrote:
Garlic should be planted now but I've given up with autumn planted
onions, lost too many during the winter and they only come a couple of
weeks before the spring planted ones and don't store well either.

Wish I'd read that before Bob, I have just had my Autumn onion sets
delivered. Last years lot were rotten (literally) though the spring sown
ones are fine, I'll just stick to the Spring ones in the future.

Well you may find they are worthwhile where you are, they weren't with us.
We always lost a few and the last year we grew them we lost almost half over
winter. The seed merchants have sold them for as long as I can remember so
someone must consider them worthwhile.
We always grow too many spring planted ones (as you do!) so can always pull
some up as needed anyway.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden