Old 09-04-2003, 11:11 PM
Theo van Daele

Default Substrate/Lave stones

Hi folks,

I've been an irregular customer here since 1999, not posted much, so my word
will not really mean much.

That said...

*Don't* put any substrate or lave stones into your pond when you have
fish/koi.

I cleaned out my pond today (digging a bigger one) and I was honestly
disgusted with the lava/poo mixture I found in there. Sure, I only had 3
pumps going 24/7 doing 30.000 litres an hour, but still... utterly
repulsive.

Nothing new, most koi sites seem to agree, but I've seen it with my own
nose... horrid smell, disgusting.

Just don't do it :-) A bottom drain might be wiser.

Theo

PS: pictures of pond extension will follow, for old shape, click
http://www.wide-o.net/pond2003/index.html