Old 30-09-2008, 01:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
General Schvantzkopf General Schvantzkopf is offline

Default lead exposure from hoses

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 21:46:52 -0400, Steve Young wrote:

"General Schvantzkopf" wrote

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 17:47:06 +0000, jellybean stonerfish wrote:

City water sucks.

Why don't you add a big carbon filter to your water line?. I have a
well with huge amounts of iron so I have an iron filter followed by a
water softener followed by a 6" whole house carbon filter, after all
that my water tastes great.

Do you chlorinate or otherwise kill potential bacteria?

If not, you're lucky it hasn't feasted on the carbon filter for lunch.

Once it does, you'll have trouble telling which smells worse,

your sewer or your house water

I wipe the housing with bleach when I change filters every six months but
that's it. As long as I change the filter twice a year I don't have a
problem, if I let it go longer than 6 months there will be a smell which
is easily remedied by a filter change. I've been using whole house carbon
filters for 25 years.