Old 30-09-2008, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
PDM PDM is offline

Default Horse Manure

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 29/9/08 10:20, in article ,
"PDM" pdcm99minus this wrote:

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
et...
On 25/09/08 09:52, PDM wrote:

Unfortunately I've got a couple or three tons of contaminated cow
manure
on one of my plots. It has killed everything except couch grass. I'm
suing the farmer. I'm now using only horse manure which I know has not
been contaminated.

PDM

Did you pay money for the cow manure?

Ed

Yes I did. And a lot on dificult to get seed potatoes which were all
ruined.

PDM

I don't know if suing the farmer will get you anywhere. The problem seems
to lie with pasture that has been sprayed with a permitted herbicide. If
'your' farmer didn't know this could cause a problem, he can hardly be at
fault. There was no deliberate intention to wreck your crops. BTW,
because
the answer lies in the grass and possibly in wood shavings used for horse
bedding, horse manure is said to be affected, too so I hope it's not too
late to prevent you from using that on your crops. If you haven't seen it
already, this might interest you. There is some mention of compensation
in
one paragraph.
http://www.glallotments.btik.com/p_M...continued.ikml

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

The weedkiller instructions for use make it clear that any manure should
only be used where non grass food crops, such as Rye, are grown and they
specifically state manure should not be used on any other crop. The farmer
knew this when he delivered the manure. He and every other farmer who did
this is liable. This means he is responsible for his negligence under
British law. Sale of Goods Act for starters. He has already in part admitted
responsibility. There are about 30 or more people suing him. This is
happening throughout the uk.

PDM