Old 01-10-2008, 04:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tony newton tony newton is offline

Default Complete Newbie to veg growing!

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 08:38:09 +0100, AriesVal
wrote:

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 02:36:25 +0100, Bigal wrote:

Caz;817441 Wrote:
I have decided to grow veg on raised beds and have no idea where to
start. I
have a small piece of lawn that I will be converting. Does anybody have
any
recommendations for a book to give me ideas and advice. I'm presuming
(maybe
wrongly) that I can't actually plant anything right now but would like
begin preparations for spring planting. Any advice greatly received.

Caz

Check out the web for info on 'lasagna gardening'. It's a raised bed
technique that might save you a lot of digging.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...Sea rch&meta=

Started now, should be ready for spring. Although some plant it up
almost immediately.

As far as planting now, quite a few salad crops will grow late
autumn/winter eg some varieties of lettuce, spinach and rocket. There
are also some overwintering spring onions. It's a bit late to start
them, but as seed is cheap it's worth trying a few rather than leaving
the area bare. I made some simple wooden open framed boxes covered
with polythene to protect late and early spring sown hardy plants from
the cold winds (just as deadly as frost). Another advantage of a
raised bed is that you can screw a protective cover over and so not
have it blow away like the cheaper plastic cloches.

Nigel