Old 01-10-2008, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins Des Higgins is offline

Default What veg are good to grow over Winter

On Sep 30, 10:55 pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Baal" wrote ..

I am growing leeks but have failed with cabbages.

Any ideas?

We grow...
Brussels Sprouts ("Trafalgar, Icarus, Topline")
Savoy cabbage
Winter cabbage ("Winter Tundra")
Cauliflowers ("Winter Walcheren Armardo April" or similar)
Broccoli
Kale
Leeks
Parsnips

The Cabbage family are the staple winter veg so why can't you grow them?
Have you checked the pH of your soil?
They like it over pH7, plenty of food in the soil and the soil firm
(especially Sprouts).

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

They all sound great; every year I swear I will get organised and do
this properly. We did purple sprouting Broccoli 2 years ago and this
year have Cauliflower but it is not very organised. One nice
advantage of doing it in the Winter is that you do not have to worry
about the Caterpillars, once they have survived the Summer?
When do you germinate your seeds for the Brassica and related and when
do you plant out?

Des