Old 09-04-2003, 11:32 PM
Steve Touchstone

Default Lawn tractor

On 9 Apr 2003 11:26:13 -0700, (Bluetobb) wrote:

I just bought a new house on 3.7 acres of land. We need to purchase a
new tractor to mow about 2-2.5 acres of it, as well as pull a cart.
There is a half acre grove of trees that needs to be mowed and some
reasonable size hills.

The last owner offered to sell us a 2 year old yard machines 17hp 42"
cut for $900. I am pretty sure this is not enough mower for the job
and I think she is asking to much. Am I right?

If it were me I would pay about half what she's asking, and I agree
that this probably isn't enough mower for a couple acres of mowing.
I'd much rather have more mower than I think I need, so would only buy
the used mower if I thought I was getting a hell of a deal.

So... the hunt begins. We have from $1500 to $2500 MAX, I really want
a 48" cut. My hunt has lead me to Sears Craftman mowers. I was looking
at model 27324 a 25hp 48" automatic with cruise control and B&S
engine. This would cost after tax and delivery $2550. After reading
some of the lawn tractor threads here I see that craftsman may not be
all that I thought. Is the tractor I am looking at going to hack it?
Any ideas on tractors that will do the job and are within my price
range that would be a better choice?

Thanks in advance for all the advice!
Dan

Like you, I've seen those threads knocking craftsman. You get what you
pay for, so if it's at all in your budget I'd go for a JD. Also, with
cutting around trees, you may want to consider the turning radius, and
whether you should get one of the automatic transmissions.

On the craftmans question, I have two, a 15hp B&S and 17HP with the
kohler engine. The kohler is by for the better engine - which I guess
is why they cost more.
--
Steve Touchstone
email