Old 01-10-2008, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2 Rusty Hinge 2 is offline

Default Honey fungus panic!

The message
from Janet Conroy contains
these words:

Thank you for the replies, altho I'm not sure I'm any the wiser.
The tree was in a smallish front garden, right beside next door's
boundary. The stump was ground out but it was a big tree (over 20ft)

Ickle tree...

so goodness knows how far any remaining roots go.

Usually about the same area as the spread of the branches, except in the
case of willows and poplars. Willow roots can 'travel' a quarter of a
mile to get a drink.

I have perennials and grasses in the bed now.
Should I clear the bed?

No.

What is susceptible?

More-or-less any tree or shrub, but probably only if it's already on its
way out.

If it's harmless why do you hear so many horror stories?

Halifax syndrome.

Listeria hysteria.

Salmonella scares.

--