Old 01-10-2008, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Honey fungus panic!

Rusty Hinge 2 writes
The message
from Janet Conroy contains
these words:

We had a large conifer chopped down and the stump ground out last year.
In the last couple of days something that looks horribly like honey
fungus has popped up. I've read up about it and apparently it can grow
on roots. We can't do anything about the roots - they go under the
lawn, into next door, and, probably, under the house!
I know I need to clear the area, but what is the best chemical to treat
the ground with??

According to Garden this month, no chemical treatments are available to
the amateur.

Honey fungus is one of the commonest species in the UK, being
encountered on 31% of forays run by the British Mycological Society - in
other words, it is all over the place, and where it isn't, its spores
are.

Dunno about the ground, but treat the caps with boiling spiced vinegar
with a touch of sea salt, after soaking them and discarding the slimy
water.

Bottle, and seal.

But only if you are sure that it is indeed honey fungus.

--
Kay