Old 01-10-2008, 09:29 PM
beccabunga beccabunga is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
Does anyone here grow Bulbine frutescens? I know it's winter hardy in
milder areas, but how about the London suburbs, or further north? I don't
have a proper greenhouse, but share an upright mini-greenhouse with my cat,
Cheetah. I'm sure she'd let me put a couple of plants in (!), but it's
really little more than an upright coldframe, so perhaps not cosy enough.
I've read that it's hardy to 5deg C, but would really appreciate some
anecdotal info from more experienced growers.

I'd love to plant it permanently in the garden (bee's love it), but I don't
want to lose it. Is it easy to propagate, so I can produce little
'insurance policies' and pressies for friends?

With thanks .. and fingers crossed :~)

Spider
As a hardy S. African plant, it ought to cope with London [which is generally warmer than the country]. What it won't like is constant wet. Make sure it is very well drained.