Old 01-10-2008, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] mtoman12@yahoo.com is offline

Default Autumn Onion Sets and Garlic

On Sep 29, 12:10*pm, Ed ex@directory wrote:
I've just got my onion sets for autumn planting and garlic which I'm
intending to *plant out in the next couple of weeks.

Never done these before , so:

Do these need netting to protect *against birds, as do spring planted bulbs?

Do I need to cover them with fleece overwinter? Somehow, I doubt if I
need to do this as they are supposed to be winter hardy.

I welcome advice from experienced growers.

(I'm in Herts, SE UK)

Ed

Ed, I hope you don't mind me replying to your question, although I
know next to nothing about gardening. I'm a college student
completing a class assignment, posting to a newsgroup. However, I
wish the best of luck in getting an educated answer.
Mike