Old 01-10-2008, 06:19 PM posted to sci.bio.botany,sci.bio.misc,sci.agriculture
[email protected] plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com is offline

Default Optimal Strategy of using sugar in canning Optimal strategy onblack-walnut harvest, and then there was pears

I wrote yesterday:
(snipped)

I have hazelnut bushes coming and maybe see the day when I can harvest
fresh organic
hazelnuts along with black-walnuts.

Hazelnuts like acid soil and alot of water so I have to struggle to
get
them established here, but black walnuts are native to the region
and they freely volunteer.

Just last night I had one liter of pears in its glass jar spoil on me,
I noticed
a cheezy smell which alerted me that one had gone wrong. I test the
jars frequently with a ping on the lid. If there is no ping I open and
eat
if alright. A jar of pears canned last week had spoiled and was about
to explode the jar. This usually happens to about 2 or 3 jars out of
360
every year. The thing I question is whether it is better to add the
sugar
while cooking or to cann the jars with no sugar at all and once I open
them, add sugar to taste.

There are advantages and disadvantages to either method. I suppose
if I wanted to be frugal on sugar I should add to taste and that way
probably cut down on sugar loss as well as cut down on the amount
of sugar intake into my body.

In fact, I think I will try a entire season of canning next year
without ever
adding sugar. So that I add sugar only when I open a jar.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium