Old 01-10-2008, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bystander Bystander is offline

Default Bulbs

"Roo" wrote in message
On 30 Sep, 10:29, "Bystander" wrote:
Good morning all.

Is there a shelf life for bulbs. I have found a bag of mixed bulbs in my
shed, which I placed there a couple of years ago and forgot, should I
plant
them now, they seem to be in good condition.

Bryan ( Winchester )

Hi Bryan.

May I suggest you plant them in pots, just in case they don't grow ?
That way, you can place the pots on the soil in their final position,
but replace with other plants if nothing appears.

Incidently, I've got into the habit of planting all bulbs now in pots
in Autumn, sometimes not planting them in the soil in their final
positions until I can see the exact shade/height of the bulbs. This
aids good colour combinations, flowering times, etc.

Good luck !

That makes sense Roo, unfortunately I planted them out yesterday and I don't
really want to disturb them again, so fingers crossed.

Bryan