Old 02-10-2008, 12:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Poole Dave Poole is offline
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon
Default Bulbine frutescens - how hardy?

Apparently several people grow both the orange and yellow forms with
considerable success in London and I know it is being grown in at
least one Essex garden. Very, very sharp drainage is the key to
keeping it going. All the plants that I know of are grown amongst
hardy cacti and succulents in prepared beds. Pile plenty of coarse
grit on and around the rhizomes so that if the main shoots are killed
by frosts, new growth can arise from the protected parts of the
stems. Bulbine can grow very quickly and a few, sparsely rooted
pieces become a sizeable flowering clump in just a few months. Here
on the south coast, it can become somewhat unruly, developing into a
sprawling mass after a year or two. I found the lifting and dividing
into small pieces every spring kept it under control.