Old 02-10-2008, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider Spider is offline

Default Bulbine frutescens - how hardy?

"Dave Poole" wrote in message
Oh I forgot to mention that it is very easily propped by taking
sections of rhizome with a growth or two and pushing them into some
coarse grit. Quite often Bulbine obliges by producing roots along the
rhizomes, so all you need to do is plant 'Irish cuttings' in situ.
It's a bit late for all of this now though, so keep your plant frost
free until next spring and then you can pull it to bits!

Thanks, Dave. That is really helpful! I shall probably keep them both (one
yellow and one orange form) in my chilly garden room, then, with a min/max
thermometer. I've got a fan heater with a frost setting on it for really
icy days.

Thanks also for the prop advice. I've looked at my plants again and can see
that one already has two strong roots anchoring the lower stem above the
rhizome to the soil layer in its pot. Most encouraging :~) Can't wait
for spring now!

Thanks once again for great advice.
Spider