Old 02-10-2008, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2 Rusty Hinge 2 is offline

Default Allotment finds

The message
from "~misfit~" contains these words:

When *I* was an anklebiter I had a pet adder...

A pet *adder*? Wow! When I was a nipper I had a pet grass snake.....

I remember Dad hammering in tent pegs in South Wales when we were on
holiday
and scammpering off on his hands and kness hammering at the ground. We all
laughed until he held up a dead adder. They're venomous no?

Venomous?

More people die of wasp stings in a year than have died of adder bites
during the whole of last century. (8, IIRC)

Only *VERY* young children or people with a weak heart or an allergy are
at risk.

And now, adders are protected.

When I put my hand in the adder's vivarium it used to come and wind
itself among my fingers. It never tried to bite me. At first, and until
it had got used to the idea that I was the bringer of food and warm
hands, it used to 'strike' at my gloved hand, but with a closed mouth.

I think it only took a week before it gave that up. While I sometimes
took grass snakes to school, I never took the adder...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig