Old 03-10-2008, 05:40 PM
ozadam ozadam is offline
Registered User

Location: Armidale, northern tablelands, new south wales , Australia
Red face

Ed;817584]I've just got my onion sets for autumn planting and garlic which I'm
intending to plant out in the next couple of weeks.
G'day. I put my onions out this time every year. They need nothing except they really hate weed competition. I put mulch down first, and then make little "wells" in the mulch to plant the onions. They go like the clappers. Hope this helps. ad.

QUOTE=Ed;817584]I've just got my onion sets for autumn planting and garlic which I'm
intending to plant out in the next couple of weeks.

Never done these before , so:

Do these need netting to protect against birds, as do spring planted bulbs?

Do I need to cover them with fleece overwinter? Somehow, I doubt if I
need to do this as they are supposed to be winter hardy.

I welcome advice from experienced growers.

(I'm in Herts, SE UK)

Ed[/quote]