Old 03-10-2008, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Poole Dave Poole is offline
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon
Default Bulbine frutescens - how hardy?

On Oct 2, 6:05 pm, Chris Hogg wrote:

I don't actually grow them myself, but B. frutescens (aka B.
caulescens) is a S. African bulbous plant with a tuberous fleshy root,
which allows it to cope with long periods of drought.

Hmm. Well I have grown it on several occasions and will do again once
I can clear away some shade-causing plants which have dramatically
reduced sunny spots in the garden :| It is not a true bulbous plant
nor are the roots tuberous. When it enters drought induced dormancy,
the terminal growths can become somewhat thickened, but to classify
them as bulbs is stretching terminology somewhat. As a garden (or
greenhouse) plant, this Bulbine usually remains evergreen and is a
sprawling, semi-succulent with eventually woody, creeping,
adventitiously rooting rhizomes at or just below the soil surface.