Old 03-10-2008, 09:03 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly Eggs Zachtly is offline

Default question about 'cattails'

FireBrick said:

hopefully you know what we in midwest call cattails.
usually in wet grounds, river banks etc.
They grow tall, leafy with brown 'seed?' pods and feathery tips.

There is a large growth near me, in a drainage culvert.

Can these be transplanted into a small garden of native grasses I have?
I know the area would need a LOT of watering but would not have any standing
water.
Just constant irrigation.

If you think I could keep these prospering, can I dig up the roots?
Probably keep as much as the earth around the roots as possible?
would spring or fall be a better time?
What do you think.

I think you'd drown your native grasses. =)

--

Eggs

-Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.