Old 03-10-2008, 10:02 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly Eggs Zachtly is offline

Default Guide for Fertilizing

John Reichert said:

Hello,

I'm looking for a general guide as to time of year and type of fertilizer,
for feeding all outdoor permanent shrubs, large and small trees, some
ornamental, plants and the lawns. I have some Dogwoods, ornamental fruit
trees, shade trees, azaleas, English Ivy, Pachysandra, Rhododendrons,
hollies, and other shrubs around the house. I live in the Louisville KY
area.

I was thinking I couldn't go seriously wrong just using a typical lawn
fertilizer for all the above

Why would you want to use a "typical lawn fertilizer" on plants such as
you've listed. Are they turf grasses? Hint: they have different needs than
a grass.

and begin applying it within the next month.
For the trees, drive a metal 1 inch diameter pipe about a foot into the
ground outside the drip line and fill with the fertilizer.

Why outside the drip line? Most of the intake of the tree is /within/ the
drip line.

--

Eggs

-Two cows standing next to each other in a field, Daisy says to Dolly "I
was artificially inseminated this morning."
"I don't believe you," said Dolly. "It's true, no bull!" exclaimed Daisy.